Wednesday, February 1, 2017

2017 - Irritations and Frustrations

Irritations:

My original "A Journey Into Fearless" blog on Blog.com has apparently disappeared along with the whole site. At some point, I will likely rebuild those posts, but for now, I'll continue on.

Frustrations:

I'm STILL dealing with left hip pain, and have added a weakened left MCL to the mix. This forced inactivity, especially right in the middle of ski season is killing me. I WAS racing, and right on track for my usual 60 day season, but now I'm well over 5 days behind, and I'm watching my racing season slip away again. Grrrrrrrr.

 Journeys:

My Fearless plan for this year was to add telemark skiing to my list of activities. So far, that little endeavor has been a total disaster! Chet picked up a pair of K2 She's Piste skis in a 167 with Rotefella Chili bindings for $50 at the Crystal Mtn swap, then I found a pair of brand new Garmont Syner-g boots in my size for $67 on Sierra Trading Post. At least we haven't spent a ton of dollars on the latest experiment if I completely fail at it.

I ski, snowboard, snowblade, XC ski, and skate ski......I should be all set for telemark skiing, right? I mean, how hard can it be, really???? Pfffffttttttt..... 😛

It turns out.......

It's A LOT harder than I ever expected!!! Not only did I not ace it my first time, I didn't even make a run. Or take a ride on the chairlift. Or even get in the lift maze. Or, really, even get both skis on and remain standing for a full 30 seconds. Seriously. I got 1 ski on, then fumbled with the other binding. The took the first one off and got the 2nd one on. Then couldn't get the 1st one back on. Then knelt down and finally got the first one back on and tried to stand up.

Nope.

I got half-way up and one ski slid out from under me. Down I went. Tried to get up. Nope. Tried again. Still nope. Now I'm drenched in sweat and my goggles are fogging. I'm laying on the ground near the lift maze, flopping around.

Even better......a young kid comes barrelling the corner, and falls right over me. Great. He jumps up and apologizes profusely, then offers me a hand up. Repeatedly. I think he felt really bad for the old chick on the ground.

I finally give up and resist throwing the skis far, far away from me.

I WILL try this again!!! I'm not giving up yet.
Yup, that's me laying in the snow, fuming and frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment